Friday 8 June 2012

Chimichurri Mackerel

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice a slight gap on Tonight's Menu.  "What happened to Thursday 7th June?" I hear you all cry.  In a nutshell work happened.  Yesterday was always going to be a long day, not only was I covering the late shift, but due to the caretaker being on holiday I also had to open up in the morning.  The long shift wasn't a problem, in fact it worked in my favour as I could take today off as time owed.  The problem was a call to reception at 8:30pm from a tenant who had an emergency and needed to work later than usual.


I finally got home at 10pm, having informed Z to go ahead and eat without me.  It looks like I missed out on a cracking plate of tagliatelle with a bacon, cabbage and cream sauce.  These things happen, it's not the end of the world and at least I got a day off out of it.

To me a day off in Leeds tends to mean one thing, a trip in to town for lunch and a mooch around Leeds Kirkgate Market.  We stopped for lunch at The White Swan where I had a great Roast beef* sandwich, which was smothered in the best home-made horseradish sauce I've ever had the pleasure to eat.  It was like Russian Roulette with the occasional bite sending pleasurable nose numbing heat through my senses.  We had such a good time that I almost forgot to pay, but I remembered before we got to the door!


With the embarrassment of almost running off without settling the bill avoided we headed down to fish row on the market with one item on our shopping list, mackerel.  We still had some chimichurri sauce left over from our steak night.  With deep slits cut in the flesh of the fish, I rubbed the sauce all over them and baked them in the oven set at its highest temperature.  The punchy sauce mellowed with cooking but went really well with the oily fish, boiled Jersey Royal potatoes and asparagus.  As food filled days go, they don't get much more tasty.

*No, I have not eaten enough roast beef this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment