Saturday, 19 May 2012

Chicken Kiev

A couple of weeks ago, Z challenged me to make her a Chicken Kiev for tea.  We used to eat shop bought Kievs regularly but, since we've stopped buying ready meals, they have fallen off the menu.  I love a challenge but this one had me worried.  What if all of the garlic butter came out of the chicken?  What if I burned the breadcrumbs making sure the chicken was cooked through?  I was running scared.  Then last weekend we stumbled on a field of wild garlic and the challenge was on.

Z had already made a block of wild garlic butter so I didn't have to mess around with that.  All I had to do was gently butcher a couple of chicken breasts to create a pocket for the butter, preferably a pocket that would close and keep the butter inside.  I made my incision behind the mini fillet, hoping to use it as a seal for the hole.

With the chicken stuffed with the butter I coated them in seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs and fried them in a couple of tablespoons of oil.  I then transferred them to the oven for about half an hour in an attempt to make sure that nothing was burnt or raw.  When the cooking time was up I presented Z with the results of the challenge and it was declared a success.  A bit more care with the original butchery and they would have been perfect but for a first attempt, I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment