Saturday 25 February 2012

Cheese and Biscuits

It's been a foodie kind of day in one way or another.  This weekend saw the annual Wakefield Food, Drink and Rhubarb Festival take place and I was not going to miss it.  The fact that I didn't know it existed, until somebody on twitter mentioned that it was happening, is neither here nor there.

At a food event in Leeds last year I tasted Chocolate Orange Chilli Jam made by The Chilli Jam Man.  At the time I was financially embarrassed to the extent that I couldn't justify purchasing the small jar of delight.  This weekend I was on a mission.

We took the train to Wakefield, so that the "beer" part of the festival could be enjoyed, and made for the Cathedral precinct where the stalls where laid out.  I won't lie to you, I was a little underwhelmed.  regardless of the range and quality of the purveyors' stalls, they were situated far too close together.  Fighting through a tight crowd with a pushchair is tricky at the best of times, but also having to negotiate stairs was a pain too far.  There is a lot of Wakefield that has been pedestrianised and this should have been used to spread the stalls out and give everybody the chance to partake, I'm certain the stall holders would have appreciated more time and space to interact with us punters.

Back home, Z had plans to go out and leave me holding the baby.  Sadly her plans were scuppered by the onslaught of a cold that had been festering all week.  We were going to have a quick pasta dish before she hit the tiles but eating, as well as drinking, was off the menu.


We decided, in the end, to tuck into the cheese we bought in Wakefield.  Cryer and Stott were at the last Homage 2 Fromage with their wonderful Ruby Gold rhubarb cheese.  I had waxed lyrical at Z about just how good it was, so finding their stall at the festival was a stroke of luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment